Along with new Canon EOS R & RF lenses announcement, Canon today also announced two new EF lenses: EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens, EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM Lens, and one new EF-M lens: EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM Lens. All these lenses will be available for pre-order on September 12, 2018.
The Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM is scheduled to begin shipping in December 2018 with an estimated retail price of $11,999. The Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM is scheduled to begin shipping in December 2018 for an estimated retail price of $12,999. The EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM will be available for purchase in late September 2018 for an estimated retail price of $479.99*.
Canon Redesigns Premium L-Series Super-Telephoto Lenses With Its New EF 400MM F/2.8L IS III USM AND EF 600MM F/4L IS III USM Lenses
New Compact and Lightweight EF Super-Telephoto Lenses Are Well Suited for a Variety of Photographers’ Needs
MELVILLE, N.Y., September 5, 2018 – Most professional photographers need to carry multiple lenses in their camera bags. Helping to lighten their load, Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, introduces two new super-telephoto lenses, the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM and EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM. Both lenses possess a dramatic weight reduction and high-image quality, making it ideal for shooters to easily transport and capture images during action-driven scenarios, such as sports and wildlife. Both lenses now hold the title of world’s lightest in their respective focal length*. The weight of the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM and EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM lenses has been reduced by 2.2 lbs. (more than 25 percent) and 1.9 lbs. (more than 20 percent) respectively.
“When developing updates to some of Canon’s most popular legacy lenses, one common question that is asked by photographers was ‘can they be lighter,’” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “The significant reduction of weight in these two lenses addresses this customer need and delivers thoughtfully designed, high-quality optics .”
The new lenses are must-haves for advanced and professional photographers shooting wildlife, aviation, sports and news with Canon’s new EOS R full-frame mirrorless camera (with use of one of the three new Canon mount adapters), as well the EOS 1D and 5D series of DSLR Cameras. Both lenses feature two of Canon’s most advanced propriety lens technologies – Air Sphere Coating (ASC) and Super Spectra Coating (SSC), helping to reduce flaring and ghosting, and suppressing the reflection of light, leading to vivid images. These updated lenses inherit the excellent overall build-quality and ruggedness photographers have come to expect and admire from the Canon EF L series of lenses. In addition, the minimum focusing distance has been improved for both lenses, from 2.7m to 2.5m (8.8ft to 8.2ft) for the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM and 4.5m to 4.2m (14.8ft to 13.8ft) for the EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM.
Additional noteworthy features of the lenses include:
- Upgraded Optical Image Stabilization from three-and-a-half stops to five shutter speed stops1 of correction over the previous f/2.8 lens
- Improved, flexible focus control with a customizable electronic-focus ring
- Two fluorite lenses and one super UD lens, helping to provide high image quality
- Circular nine-blade aperture
- 17 lens elements in 13 groups
- Heat-shielding paint helps prevent lens temperature from rising during excessive exposure to sun
- Fluorine coating on front and rear optical elements, helps to reduce smears and fingerprints
- Inner focusing system with Ring Ultrasonic Motor
Canon Introduces New Lens Featuring The Largest and Fastest Aperture in The EF-M Lens Family
New EF-M 32mm F/1.4 STM Expands Canon’s Robust Lineup of EF-M Lenses Aimed at Entry and Enthusiast-Level Photographers
MELVILLE, N.Y., September 5, 2018 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today introduced a new EF-M wide angle fixed-focal-length lens, the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM. The EF-M lens is both compact and lightweight, serving as an ideal addition for any photographer shooting with an EOS-M series camera. Entry and enthusiast-level photographers who are passionately seeking to take their photography skills to the next-level will find this lens to be a great addition for portraiture, landscapes or general travel photography.
“As Canon continues to expand the company’s EF-M lineup, it is very important that users are provided the tools they desire for a variety of shooting situations,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “The new EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens delivers great image quality in a compact and lightweight form factor, allowing photographers to capture the images they envision when they pick up their camera.”
The EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens is the second EF-M lens to feature a large-aperture, delivering stunning bokeh with a soft blurred background that helps photographers isolate their subjects. In addition, the 32mm focal length converts to approximately 51m in 35mm format, providing an angle-of-view close to the field-of-view of the human eye.
Additional noteworthy features of the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens include:
- 14 elements in eight groups, including a glass molded aspherical lens
- Super Spectra Coating technology and optimized lens element placement helps minimize ghosting and flaring
- Lead gear-type STM stepping motor to help provide smooth and quiet focus operation when taking photos, and near-silence when shooting video
- Wide focusing ring with full-time manual focus capabilities
- Compact and lightweight design: maximum diameter of 60.9mm, total length of 50.5mm and approximate weight of 235g
- Maximum magnification of 0.25x and minimum focusing distance of 0.23m