Tamron has officially announced the new SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 lens today. The US price for this lens is $1,299, now available for pre-order at B&H Photo Video/Adorama. Release date for Canon EF mount is in October, 2018. This new lens has new elements and coatings, a more powerful autofocus CPU and an enhanced Vibration Correction system.
- Ultra-wide zoom is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount cameras, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 24-48mm equivalent focal length range.
- Bright f/2.8 constant maximum aperture affords consistent brightness throughout the zoom range, and benefits working in difficult lighting conditions.
- Three LD (low dispersion) elements are featured in the optical design to noticeably limit color fringing and chromatic aberrations for improved clarity and color fidelity.
- Two glass-molded aspherical elements and one XGM (eXpanded Glass Molded Aspherical) element help to reduce spherical aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range to deliver notable sharpness and accurate rendering.
- An AX coating has been to the convex surface of large, curved elements and both eBAND and BBAR coatings have also been applied to individual elements to suppress ghosting and lens flare for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions.
- VC image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 4.5 stops for more effective handheld shooting in difficult lighting conditions.
- An Ultrasonic Silent Drive autofocus motor delivers quick and precise focusing performance to suit working with moving subjects. This motor also affords full-time manual focus control, and it is possible to focus on subjects as close as 11″ away.
- Dual dedicated MPUs (Micro-Processing Unit) are used—one for autofocus, one for VC—to ensure fast, responsive focusing and stabilization performance.
- A moisture-resistant construction benefits this lens’ use in inclement conditions, and a fluorine coating has also been applied to the front lens element to protect against dust, dirt, and smearing.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Integrated rear filter holder permits working with cut gel-type filters.
- Compatible with optional TAP-in Console for fine-tuning select focusing adjustments and for updating lens firmware.